Submissions are now officially CLOSED for both the 39th Annual San Francisco Comedy Competition and the 35th Annual Seattle International Comedy Competition.
The San Francisco Comedy Competition runs from September 11 through October 5, 2014. As dates and venues become final, information will be posted at http://www.sanfranciscocomedycompetition.com.
The Seattle International Comedy Competition opens on Wednesday November 5 and ends on Sunday November 30, 2014.
We will accepted submissions for either or both competitions through September 1, 2014. THIS DATE HAS NOW PASSED. DO NOT APPLY AND DO NOT ENGAGE THE PAYPAL FUNCTION UNTIL THE APPLICATION PERIOD BEGINS FOR THE 2015 COMPETITIONS!
Considering applying in 2015? Here’s what you need to know:
1) Are you eligible?
- You must be at least 21 years of age before the competition begins.
- You must not have been a competitor in the previous year’s competition to be selected for that competition this year.
NOTE: Above and beyond being simply “eligible”, this competition is looking for active and compelling stand-up comedy talent. This is not the competition for the “absolute beginner.”
2) What do you need to include in your application?
- Basic information: Your name, your age, your location and your email address.
- A brief biography describing your comedy experience. Don’t overthink this! Just give us the basics: how long you’ve been performing comedy, where you perform, what some of your comedy career highlights have been. You can skip the fluff and the promotional boilerplate. It is meant for us to know more about you and your experience as we consider your candidacy–it is not for public consumption.
Please include your phone number and, if you’re on Facebook and/or Twitter, add that information too!
- A link to an on-line hosted video of you performing comedy (see #3 below)
NOTE: Recommendations or references from other comedians or bookers are nice but they are optional. IF you include them, make certain your references know that you’ve used them as references.
3) What do we want to see from your on-line hosted video?
- Your video should show you doing what you do best. Give yourself the best chance to be selected!
- We recommend clips that show you performing stand-up comedy for an audience, unedited, for ten minutes.
- That is our recommendation, not a rule. We will consider you based on what you send us. If your best clip is seven or twelve minutes long: don’t sweat it, send it.
- However, if you send us a 43 second clip–that’s not going to show us what we need to see. If you send us your full hour long set–we’ll watch the first ten minutes.
- We ask that clips be unedited. If “your best” is ten consecutive minutes from the middle of a longer set, then send us a link to a clip of those ten minutes. That’s ok.
- What we don’t want is a cobbled together greatest hits montage. We want to see you in action.
- It is very important that you can both be seen and heard clearly on your video.
- If you don’t currently have a video that meets these recommendations, you should consider delaying your application until you have one that you’re happy with.
4) Is there an application fee?
Yes. The cost for 2014 was $10 to apply to either Seattle or San Francisco, or $15 to be considered for both, accepted via PayPal. DO NOT USE THIS FUNCTION FOR 2014 APPLICATIONS AS THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR 2014 HAS PASSED!
5) How do you get your application to us?
Please use the Application Form below to send your application to us. When we receive notification from Paypal that your application fee has been processed, we will begin to review your submission.
Application Form for the Seattle and/or San Francisco Comedy Competitions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- There’s an application fee?
Yes. There is now a nominal fee to help with administration costs. Your application will not be considered or reviewed until this fee is paid.
- Why do you need to be 21 years of age?
Some shows are held in casinos that deny entry to those under 21, even performers.
- Can I audition in person, instead of applying with a video?
Select performers based in the Pacific Northwest will be given the opportunity to participate in a series of regional showcase events instead of having to go through the application process. Space on these showcase events is limited, by invitation only and they are not for out-of-the-area performers who might happen to be in town. Pacific Northwest-based performers can also choose to pay the application fee and apply with video. As a Pacific Northwest-based performer, you can request consideration to be chosen for one of these showcase events by emailing email@example.com with “Interested in Seattle Competition Showcase” in the subject line.
(At this time, there are no plans for auditions to be held for the San Francisco Comedy Competition.)
- What are my chances of being selected?
In most years, thirty-two comedians will compete in the competition. Over 1300 performers were considered for those thirty-two spots in the Seattle International Comedy Competition last year. Numbers are similar for the San Francisco Comedy Competition.
- When will I know if I’ve been selected or not?
The roster selection discussions go on throughout the process. For the San Francisco Comedy Competition, the final roster decisions will be made soon after the September 1st application deadline. For the Seattle International Comedy Competition, final decisions are made after the audition showcases are completed–usually by October 1st. We make it a point to let everyone know as soon as possible if they were definitely in, definitely out or still being considered–as we know that holding calendar dates for is a hardship for any working comedian.
- What if I have other questions that aren’t answered here?
Feel free to email Director of Talent, Peter Greyy (firstname.lastname@example.org ) with any questions you may have and he’ll do his best to get back to you as quickly as possible.